Generic Aczone Dapsone 100mg – instructions for use. Generic Aczone Dapsone 100mg is used for Leprosy in combination with other drugs that are effective for Leprosy, as well as dermatitis herpetiformis and bullous pemphigoid (in combination with glucocorticosteroids and immunosuppressants or monotherapy for mild course). In some cases, it is used for the treatment of vasculitis (in complex therapy).
Dosage and administration
The drug is best taken after a meal with plenty of water. It is usually used in complex therapy. The drug is not taken for a day after a week (for example, on Sundays).
Dosage and duration of reception
The dosage regimen is individual. The average dose of the drug is 50-100 mg of Dapsone, i.e. 1-2 pills per day, 6 days a week.
Unless otherwise specified, the following dosage instructions apply:
- Leprosy: the average daily dose is 50-100 mg (1-2 pills) per day. The reception of the drug takes a number of years.
- Dermatitis herpetiformis: treatment should start with 2 pills a day (100 mg of Dapsone) for 1 week. Then the dose can be increased to 4 pills (200 mg of Dapsone) until the effect is achieved. However, in each case, it is necessary to strive for the lowest dose-50 mg. In some cases, you can take 300 mg of Dapsone (6 pills) per day for a short period of time, although you should aim for a maintenance dose of 50 mg of Dapsone per day, which can be achieved by combining the drug with glucocorticosteroids.
- If the clinical picture of the disease is accompanied by symptoms from the gastrointestinal tract, the administration of a gluten-free diet may help reduce the dose of the drug.
- The duration of treatment for dermatitis herpetiformis is prolonged for many years. The duration of the break between courses increases with the use of glucocorticosteroids. The possibility and duration of breaks are determined depending on the specific case.
- Bullous pemphigoid – 100-150 mg/day.
- Vasculitis – 50-150 mg/day.
- Hypersensitivity to Dapsone or other components of the drug to sulfonamides and sulfones.
- Severe anemia (hemoglobin content less than 70 g / l).
- Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency.
- Severe liver disease.
- * Children under 18 years of age.
Pregnancy and lactation
If it is necessary to take Dapsone during pregnancy, the expected benefit to the mother and the possible risk to the fetus should be correlated. In the first 4 months of pregnancy and lactation, the drug should be prescribed only if absolutely necessary, with extreme caution.
Since Dapsone is secreted into breast milk, women taking the drug should stop breastfeeding.
At the beginning of treatment there may be headache, abdominal pain and nausea, vomiting, pancreatitis, fever, phototoxicity, tachycardia, albuminuria, hypoalbuminemia without proteinuria, nephrotic syndrome, papillary necrosis, infertility in men, systemic lupus erythematosus, a syndrome similar to infectious mononucleosis usually passing with further administration of the drug.
Symptoms of intoxication: dyspnea, nausea and vomiting, headache, cyanosis, tachycardia methemoglobinemia, hemolysis, hematuria, renal failure, neurological and psychiatric disorders, vision loss and coma.
There are no exact data on lethal doses. There is only a single case when taking 14 g resulted in death, and there was also a case when the patient survived after taking 15 g of Dapsone.
Therapy in overdose
It is necessary to do gastric lavage. After that, you should take activated charcoal and possibly a laxative for several days (40 ml of 20-40% sorbitol solution).
Infusion therapy is performed to enhance the excretion of sulfone and prevent kidney failure (the introduction of a sufficient amount of fluid with diuretics and sodium bicarbonate to alkalize the urine).
Treatment of methemoglobinemia is performed by administration of methylene blue 1 % 02 ml / kg intravenously and / or vitamin C (2 g / d). In the case of severe overdose, early hemodialysis is indicated, an infusion of red blood cells or a blood transfusion. It is necessary to carry out the oxygen therapy or artificial respiration for pO2 control. Symptomatic therapy.
- Generic Aczone increases the effectiveness of isoniazid protionamide and rifampicin, which reduces the dose of protionamide in particular. Rifampicin increases the plasma clearance of Dapsone and reduces the concentration of Dapsone by 7-10 times.
- When used simultaneously with probenecid, there is a decrease in Dapsone excretion and an increase in its concentration in the blood.
- Pyrimethamine may alter certain pharmacokinetic parameters of Dapsone (volume and concentration of the drug in plasma and saliva).
- Taking cimetidine and moderate alcohol consumption do not affect the absorption of Dapsone.
- Trimethoprim affects the level of Dapsone and vice versa.
Special instructions Aczone generic
If a skin rash occurs while taking the drug, stop taking the drug immediately and consult a doctor.
It is necessary to regularly conduct dynamic monitoring of the blood condition (clinical blood tests at the beginning of therapy on a weekly basis, and after a few months on a monthly basis). Treatment with Dapsone should be discontinued in the case of a significant decrease in the level of white blood cells, platelets and hemoglobin, an increase in the concentration of methemoglobin. The concentration of methemoglobin in the blood of 10 % or higher is manifested by the development of cyanosis. When the concentration of methemoglobin in the blood is 30% or higher, shallow breathing develops (in the case of acute methemoglobinemia).
The patient should be informed that if a bluish color appears on the lips and nails, they should immediately inform the doctor.
In special cases, if the use of the drug in patients with severe anemia is necessary for “vital” indications (for example, in dermatitis herpetiformis), therapy should be carried out with strict control of hemoglobin parameters.
It should be borne in mind that side effects from the blood are usually more pronounced in elderly patients. The effect of the drug on the ability to drive vehicles is highly unlikely.