Benzoyl gel 5% 20g acts on the skin in several directions at once. It has 4 important properties that help to get rid of acne at any age using the drug regularly. They are:
The first property is antibacterial, based on the fact that benzene peroxide has a detrimental effect on the causative agent of acne called Propionibacterium acnes, as well as on Staphylococcus. When applied to the skin and further ingested in the inflamed sebaceous gland, it breaks down into two active components – benzoic acid and oxygen. The high concentration of it has a detrimental effect on all pathogens of acne.
Compared with all other drugs, it is Benzoyl gel 5% 20g that has the most severe antibacterial effect on pathogens of skin diseases. However, it should be remembered that even this potent product can be addictive with prolonged and uncontrolled use. It will negatively affect the therapy, since the microbes that cause acne will be completely insensitive to this drug.
- The anti-inflammatory effect is due to the ability of the drug to reduce the production of sebum, as well as restore the protective shell of the epidermis.
- The keratolytic (exfoliating) effect is due to the ability of Benzoyl Peroxide 5% 20g to reduce the build-up of excess cells, exfoliate dead cells and enhance the regeneration of healthy tissues. In this respect, the drug is somewhat similar to the most common face or body scrub.
- The comedogenic effect allows you to get rid of the congestion in the sebaceous glands, which look like black dots. It also helps to remove from the sebaceous gland all the fat that has accumulated in it and for some reason is not able to get out.
Indications for use
Benzoyl Peroxide 5% 20g can be found in any pharmacy. It is used in dermatology to treat acne of various degrees of severity. This substance is also used for the treatment of comedones, acne, juvenile acne and other inflammatory skin diseases.
However, before starting treatment, you should definitely visit a doctor, since all drugs from this group have their own contraindications, which only a specialist can know about.
All drugs containing Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% 20g should only be used as strictly prescribed by a dermatologist. Yes, the active substance is not absorbed into the blood and only works on the surface of the skin. However, even this condition gives the drugs many contraindications that must be taken into account before starting treatment. The main contraindications that are described in the instructions are:
- Children under 12 years of age, since the use of the drug at this age has not been studied.
- Hypersensitivity to drugs.
- The period of pregnancy, since there is no proven clinical data that drugs from this group are completely safe during this period.
- Breast-feeding period, although it is proven that the drug does not enter the blood and breast milk, it is still not worth risking the child’s health.
These contraindications apply to all acne drugs that contain Benzoyl gel 5% 20g.
Any drug based on Benzoyl gel 5% 20g can cause a lot of side effects. If you want to avoid this, do not exceed the dosage prescribed by your doctor or use the drug more often than 2 times a day.
The main side effects are:
- Redness of the epidermis.
- Skin peeling.
- Strong itch.
- Significant edema.
- Appearance of a rash.
- Dryness of the skin.
- Hair discoloration.
- Edema of the eyelids.
If any of the above symptoms appear, it is recommended that you either completely abandon treatment with these drugs or start using it once a day and in a lower concentration.
Recommendations for the use
Drugs that contain Benzoyl Peroxide 5% 20g are prescribed for any degree of acne. If there are just a few pimples (up to 10 pieces), then the drug is applied topically and pointwise. In this case, other drugs are not used in the treatment.
If there are up to 25 papules and the presence of comedones, Benzoyl Peroxide 5% 20g is prescribed simultaneously with antibacterial therapy. In this case, the drugs of the first group are used in the form of ointments or creams for applying to acne. The drugs of the second group are taken in the form of pills.
If it is severe acne and there are also a lot of scars besides acne and comedones, then Benzoyl Peroxide 5% 20g is most often used in combination therapy with retinoids and high doses of antibacterial agents. If necessary, hormone therapy is also used, but only in women.
Other drugs that contain Benzoyl Peroxide 5% 20g have more cosmetic than therapeutic effect. You can buy them with great difficulty. At the same time, Benzoyl gel 5% 20gand drugs based on it have the greatest effectiveness in the treatment of acne. If the disease is running or the skin is in really bad condition then you should not begin the treatment with taking antibacterial drugs.