Color, consistency and volume of secretions during ovulation help a woman to determine the best time for conceiving a baby (so-called “favorable days”) or avoid unwanted pregnancy. Women can also evaluate their health condition and identify the existing reproductive disorders at an early stage by the state of their cervical mucus in any period of the cycle. Discharge during ovulation, before and after fertile period.
Table of Contents
To learn to tell the difference between the normal secretion and pathological discharge, you need to find out the causes of cervical mucus during ovulation. In the middle of the menstrual cycle, vaginal secretion causes the following changes in the body:
- The release of mature eggs with the associated rupture of follicle.
- Significant increase in the level of estrogen (the hormone that makes cervical mucus from the cervix more liquid). Reproductive system creates optimal conditions for the movement of sperm in the uterus and fallopian tubes.
These factors determine the color, amount and consistency of secretion, in the absence of pathological processes in the body.
You need to know what the discharge during ovulation must be. They are characterized by the following signs:
- Transparent, whitish or pink.
- Mucus, egg white-like, nozzle-shaped or watery.
- About one teaspoon a day (individual indicator).
- It is non-existent; however, sour smell of discharge without itching due to the vaginal microflora is acceptable.
Keep in mind that every organism is individual. Therefore, color and amount of cervical fluid in different women may vary. The main rule for all is absence of itching, burning, reddening of sexual organs, as well as severe and sharp pain.
When does the discharge during ovulation start?
You can calculate the approximate date by using your calendar:
- Determine the duration of menstrual cycle.
- Divide this figure into two.
- Subtract this number of days from the beginning of the last menstruation.
Resulted date will be the beginning of fertile period.
Ovulatory phase rarely starts in the middle of the cycle. This is associated with hormonal background, physiological and psychological factors. For more accurate forecasting, you need to measure the basal temperature for several months and write down the result. Doctors state that in most of their patients, favorable days are from the 11th to the 21st day of cycle.
How many days does the discharge last?
To answer this question, you need to find out the duration of ovulation. On the average, it lasts approximately 48 hours. Another 24 hours, mature egg remains viable, which is why the characteristic discharge can continue.
Cervical mucus caused by favorable time for conception. It can last for a few days, and then gradually thicken due to the increase in progesterone.
for the record! if VAGINAL FLUID doesn’t indicate the beginning of FERTILE PHASE, you should buy a special test that will show TWO STRIPS at the moment of release of egg from the ovary.
Vaginal discharge is not the only indicator of the best time for conception. You also need to consider the following signals:
- nagging pain in the lower abdomen;
- high temperature (37.1–37.3°);
- intense sex drive;
- minor pain and coarsening of breast.
Signals of conception
Signs of pregnancy and release of egg are very similar. Therefore, it is difficult to identify the successful fertilization at once. Implantation bleeding is the cause of pink and brown discharge during ovulation; however, it appears about a week and a half later, when the ovum is attached to the uterine wall.
Remember that liquid and watery secretions are virtually excluded, as reproductive system prepares safe conditions for fetal development. Therefore, vaginal mucus becomes denser.
If you don’t have any secretions, it doesn’t indicate the pathology or absence of ovulation. A large number of girls don’t feel anything when the egg is released from the ovary (vaginal dryness is accepted). Under such conditions, conception is improbable, but this possibility cannot be ruled out. After all, the lack of secretion may be related to the low level of estrogen.
There can be cases when women note untypical creamy/smearing traces on the panty liner instead of mucus. The reason for this often lies in hormonal background, food habits and other external factors (strong sensations and stress).
You don’t have to sound the alarm, when you observe:
- abundant (wet) secretion for several days;
- yellowish or creamy traces on the panty liner;
- bloody smear;
- uniform watery discharge without lumps.
Women often describe white secretions during ovulation. However, it should be taken into account that colorless mucus indicates favorable period for conception. When it comes to muddy or white secretion, it probably indicates the end of ovulation or the violation of vaginal microflora.
keep in mind that normal cervical fluid may not stand out against a background of UNPLEASANT SENSATIONs, which mostly indicate the NEGATIVE PROCESSES IN THE BODY.
What does the pathological secretion during the release of the egg look like?
Reproductive failure cannot be ruled out, if the discharge is accompanied by the following symptoms:
- Yellow with green or grey shade (sexual infection).
- White curdled discharge with a sour smell, itching and burning (thrush).
- Abundant spotting during ovulation — the panty liner gets wet in less than an hour (bleeding).
- Very liquid discharge with foamy consistency (inflammation or infection).
- Dark-brown, almost black secretions (endometriosis).
Secretion complemented by the following signs can be safely called a violation:
- unpleasant smell of fish or rotting;
- clotted blood;
- pus and lumps;
- discharge lasting more than two or three days;
- high body temperature;
- severe pain;
- systematic burning, redness and itching of sexual organs.
Such symptoms should not be ignored. Visit at the hospital and testing is a key to a quick recovery; it will also help you to detect abnormalities at the early stages of development.
Before the fertile period the level of estrogen in the female body enhances, which increases the amount of vaginal secretion, making it liquid and mucus-like. Normal formation of follicle in the ovary is impossible without this hormone.
With the approach of egg release (more precisely, a few days before it), cervical fluid becomes viscous and sticky, and its amount keeps increasing. There are unfavorable conditions for the movement of male cells, as the women’s reproductive system is not yet ready for fertilization.
How many days in advance does the discharge start?
Secretion related to the preovulatory period, starts differently in all women. Some of them don’t have cervical mucus, while others note abundant liquid vaginal discharge. Both options are considered normal.
Gynecologists claim that under ideal conditions, characteristic secretion appears a week before expected fertile period. Shortly before it, the discharge acquires the characteristics of cervical fluid, which is also noted after ovulation. Norm is:
- white or transparent secretions;
- uniform condition of mucus;
- stretching and sticky nature;
- light sour smell.
Symptoms of deviations:
- clotted pus or blood;
- foamy or curd consistency;
- itching, burning and swelling of labia;
- sharp pain in the lower abdomen;
- watery yellow or green secretion.
Bloody or brown discharge before ovulation is considered hazardous. It is neither related to the period nor caused by the follicle rupture.
Exceptions are women who take oral contraceptives and use IUD.
The color of discharge is defined by the type of pathology: from pale pink and red to brown and black. Its consistency can be as follows:
- egg white;
Vaginal secretion helps a woman to determine ovulation, but it is not the most precise method of calculation. If the pregnancy is unwanted, you should use special tests or monitor the basal temperature for 2–3 months.
To understand what the discharge ovulation must be, you should determine the current condition of organism. Nature of vaginal secretion always changes after ovulation. However, in combination with other signs, it indicates the beginning of gestation or health problem.
If the conception has not been implemented, spotting after the favorable days can’t be considered normal. In this case, second half of menstrual cycle has its own characteristics:
- prevalence of progesterone in the body;
- at first, sticky condition of cervical fluid;
- increased density of mucous secretion;
- transparency is replaced by white or beige color of secretions;
- gradual decrease in the volume of secretion.
Sometimes, cervical mucus disappears after ovulation, appearing in abundance shortly before menstruation or during sexual intercourse. Therefore, if the woman doesn’t have any discharge, and it’s not a cause for alarm. However, excessive dryness should be discussed with the doctor.
Many women observe white discharge after ovulation, which are considered normal, if they don’t cause much discomfort in the crotch area. You may observe:
- white dense/creamy secretions without odor (effect of progesterone);
- uniform light beige or yellowish discharge (with epithelial cells);
- transparent discharge with white streaks or nozzle-like secretions (switch from estrogen to the predominance of progesterone).
White secretions in this period usually indicates the normal maturation of the next egg.
You should pay attention to the abundant white discharge after ovulation and liquid secretion.
The following diseases are possible:
- candidiasis (curdled);
- infection (watery secretions);
- bacterial vaginosis (very strong watery discharge);
- violation of the vaginal microflora (secretions that smell like onion).
Spotting after ovulation must not be a cause for concern, if it is caused by the following reasons:
- gynecological examination;
- sexual contact;
- IUD insertion;
- hormonal therapy;
- postpartum period.
But even in this situation, you should consult the physician to exclude the pathology.
Likelihood of pregnancy
Characteristics of ovulation (if the conception was successful), may vary in each individual women, but some patterns do exist. One of the first symptoms of conception are bloody vaginal secretion that arises in about 6–12 days.
Emergence of blood clots or light creamy secretion in the mucous membrane is related to the introduction of gestational sac into the uterine cavity, which causes blood streaks approximately a week after ovulation. However, such situation lasts just a few hours or a couple of days at most. Usually, there is a little cervical mucus, and its consistency reminds of thick snot or jellylike discharge. There must be no liquid (watery) secretions.
important! brown smearing VAGINAL secretion MAY INDICATE ECTOPIC PREGNANCY or a THREAT OF SPONTANEOUS ABORTION. in this case, you should consult a doctor TO CLARIFY ITS CAUSES.
White discharge in the second half of the cycle doesn’t always indicate pregnancy, even if you have a stomachache, like before menstruation. Yes, implantation of fertilized ovum is accompanied by pain, but not in every girl. Therefore, you should consider all early signs of pregnancy after ovulation in the complex:
- cramps in the lower abdomen and side pain;
- increased breast;
- breast tenderness;
- emergence of brown or white discharge in a week;
- bloating and gases;
- high temperature;
- sickness (rarely);
- change of taste;
- low work capacity and loss of strength.
Uncharacteristic color, smell and consistency of cervical fluid demonstrates reproductive disorders:
- Emergence of yellow or greenish discharge signals the beginning of inflammatory process, infection and problems with vaginal microflora.
- Pinkish secretion – polyps, erosion, hyperplasia and sexual infections. Their main indicator is severe pain during sex.
- Scarlet or abundant bloody secretions. Bleeding can be caused by seam suture and indicate the neoplasms in the reproductive system.
- Liquid and watery/foamy discharge with pus and fetid smell can indicate trichomoniasis.
Discharge before and after ovulation (by day)
Discharge during period lasts 5-7 days. Menstruation is replaced by so-called “dry days” (8-11 day of ovulation).
Day 12-13. Watery secretion appears. It is sticky and not abundant (beginning of ovulation period).
Day 14. Mucus increases in volume and dilutes.
Day 15. Vaginal discharge becomes similar to the egg white: it is colorless and can stretch between the fingers. You may note the blood streaks. (ovulation)
Day 16. Secretion is still abundant like snot.
Day 17. Secretion becomes denser. It thickens and becomes cloudy (the period of fertility ends).
Day 20-28. Discharge is absent.
These data are approximate and don’t reflect the course of menstrual cycle in all women.